Tutbury Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:6A Cornmill Lane, Tutbury.

6A Cornmill Lane, Tutbury.

Rev. David Leese

Staffordshire

By David Leese

6A Cornmill Lane, Tutbury, Burton on Trent, DE13 9HA

 

The first Primitive Methodist chapel was in Castle Street, but moved in 1831 to a chapel in Cornmill Lane. This was closed in about 1914 and converted to a domestic dwelling in the 1930's. It is now numbered  6A.

The style of the building is clearly different from the other houses in the street, but there is nothing that would obviously indicate its original use.

This page was added by David Leese on 23/04/2017.
Comments about this page

There's an account by W Gotherd in the Primitive Methodist magazine (page 225) of the opening of the 1831 chapel. Opening services took place on October 10th and were conducted by J Woolley and Hugh Bourne.

The new chapel measured 21'(w) x 28'(l) and the society was assisted in the building by local farmers and tradesmen.

By Christopher Hill
On 30/08/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.