Napton Primitive Methodist chapel

former Primitive Methodist chapel at Napton

High Street Napton CV47 8NB

By Christopher Hill

Napton was described in an account by Henry Yeates in the Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1853 as a populous village where there was a prosperous Primitive Methodist society of 60 members and a flourishing Sunday school.  This meant they needed to enlarge the chapel.  In fact they completely rebuilt it so it measured 37.5' x 20.5' and 17' high, at a cost of around £100 of which they had raised £40.

The opening services started on July 17th 1853. Rev JP Percy preached and more than 200 people attended the tea. Thanks were due to the farmers for carrying the materials, R Mander for the inscription stone and Mr Alsop for allowing the chapel to be extended a yard or two onto his grounds.

Five years previously, in early 1848, there was a revival.  Petty tells us that "At Napton, upwards of thirty have been converted, among whom are some who were our worst enemies. Most of the new converts are going from house to house, proclaiming what God has done for their souls, — and the saving influence is extending; husbands and wives, parents and children, are turning to the Lord."

The chapel is marked on Ordnance survey maps in 1955, but by 1974 it has disappeared. On Google Street View in August 2016 it still stands opposite the end of chapel lane but now in residential use - Chapel House.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1853 pp.621-622

Petty, John (1860) The History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion from its origin p.362.

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 28/02/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.