Rose Green Primitive Methodist chapel

Bristol circuit

By Christopher Hill

The May 1855 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by John Butcher of the opening of Rose Green Primitive Methodist chapel in the Bristol circuit.

"The society at Rose-green had long felt the want of a little chapel in which to conduct its religious services. This induced the members and leaders to bring the matter before the throne of grace, and God has graciously made their way plain in this respect. A suitable site of land was obtained and legally settled on the Connexion last fall, upon which we have been enabled to erect a neat little chapel. The building is 27 feet long, by 20 wide.

It was opened for Divine service on Sunday, 18th February, 1855, by Mr. M. Harvey, of Bath, who preached three useful sermons on the occasion. On the following Monday a tea-meeting was held, when about eighty-seven persons sat down to partake of the cup which refreshes, but does not inebriate, which was followed by a public meeting, addressed by brothers M. Harvey, W. Walland, G. Harvey, J. Lambert, E. Biggs, and R. Humphris.

The money raised at these sermons, considering the severity of the winter, was more than could have been reasonably expected. We sincerely tender our thanks to Mr. James Cousens for his liberal donation, and to all parties who have helped us in any way to build this house for God. That many souls may be born in this little sanctuary is the sincere prayer of John Butcher. "

Where was this chapel? There are two marked on Ordnance Survey's 1:2,500 map of 1883; one is just north of Rose Green (but on the other side of the railway line) at Easton, the other, Zion, south west towards Whitehall,


Reference 

Primitive Methodist magazine May 1855 p.303

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.