Milton-next-Sittingbourne (Milton Regis) Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

Primitive Methodism had been active in Milton-next-Sittingbourne (now known as Milton Regis) in the Chatham Mission for a number of years before around 1852 when a room was opened by a member, “who had to suffer persecution on that account.”  Subsequently a missionary was stationed here, a larger room taken and a revival broke out.

In October, 1854 they started to build a chapel on a piece of freehold land they had secured.  Chapels around this time were often built in three to four months; this one did not open until September 30th, 1855, due to “various difficulties and extremely painful circumstances”. Opening preachers were Mr Toulson, of Canterbury, and Rev. J. Moss (Independent), of Sittingbourne  Further meetings were addressed by brother Ashworth, of Goudhurst, and Rev. J. Parrett (Independent), of Milton, sister Fuller, of Margate, Messrs., Fuller, Plommer, Harding, T Doody, and Coldwell and Harden, Bible Christians.

The chapel was 30 feet by 28, and 14 feet high, “with six windows, 96 letable seats, and a proportionate number free. It has a neat fence in front, and ground for enlargement when necessary”. The total cost was about £330., but they were struggling to raise one-third. 

Where was this chapel?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine December 1855 p.750

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 12/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.