1855 chapel openings and more

Photo: Illustrative image for the '1855 chapel openings and more' page

Index of 1855 Primitive Methodist Magazine accounts of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation-stone laying

By Christopher Hill

There were 39 accounts of openings, re-openings and foundation stone laying in the 1855 volume. These included 30 openings, 8 foundation stone layings and 7 re-openings. 

At Tholomas Drove near Wisdbe(a)ch they had previously had to climb a ladder to get into their meeting room which was a granary.

Some things never change: it took them a very long time to acquire a chapel in East Street Walworth as they had difficulty affording any land.

Some accounts give lots of detail - at Kelsey Moor (Market Rasen circuit) they painted the hatrailing. Some accounts hint at bigger issues - at Camblesforth there were threatening but unspecified problems.

Occasionally humour sneaks in, usually unintentionally: at the opening of Ebenezer chapel in Stickford there were "sermons of varied excellency". At Doncaster Spring Gardens Alderman Meek was unable to attend so sent a cheque as a substitute.

 

Downloads

1855 chapel openings
1855 chapel openings (549k)
Index of 1855 Primitive Methodist Magazine accounts of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation-stone laying

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 14/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.