Cambridge Fitzroy Street Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

On 12th December 1855 the Primitive Methodists held their first services in the former Wesleyan chapel in Fitzroy-street, in the Barnwell area of Cambridge. The chapel, brick built and with a slate roof, had been opened around 40 years earlier, but became available a few years after the Wesleyans erected a larger chapel in Hobson-street in 1848. It had cost the Wesleyans around £1,000 and seated 400-500 people; the Prims offer of £200 was accepted despite being £20 less than the expected price because the Wesleyans were keen the chapel remained as a chapel sympathetic to their ideals. The other Cmabridge Primitive Methodist chapel in St Peter's Street was a mile and a half away.

William Henry Meadows describes the opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine of February 1856. Preachers in the opening month of services included Miss Buck, of Leicester, Mr. J. Bunn, of Wisbeach, Mr. W. Baker, senior (Wesleyan), W. H. Meadows, W. E. Nobbs, J. Bunn, Mr. R. Porcher, presided, J. Barton, J. Head, and Rev. R. G. Mason. Services and meetings were held not only in the new chapel, but also in the British school, in Hobson-street Wesleyan chapel and in Zion Baptist chapel.

Named donors and collectorsincluded by W. H. Meadows, brothers Read, Porcher, Baron, R. Sayle, Esq, W. E. Lilly, R. Foster, Esq., T. Clay ton, Miss Chapman,  Miss Redman, Miss S. Barton, Mr. J. Read, Mr. R. Porcher, Mr. G. Dewbury, Mr. R. Brazier Mr. Marshall and Mr. T. Cowling. Mr. Wallingford, of St. Ives, Hunts,made the deed of conveyance "for mere cost of stamps." 

Fitzroy Street was replaced in 1876 by the Tabernacle, the largest Primitive Methodist chapel in Cambridge built at a cost, including several cottages, of £3,390.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1856 pp.112-114

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 15/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.