Haugh Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Haugh Primitive Methodist chapel

64A Huddersfield Rd, Newhey, OL16 3RL

By Christopher Hill

In the 1856 Primitive Methodist magazine, James Cheetham writes of the opening of Haugh Primitive Methodist chapel.

"This village is three miles from Rochdale, lying about half way between the latter place and Oldham. Our people have devoted their labours to it for nearly thirty years; but, not having sufficient accommodation, the cause has generally been low. However, about fifteen months ago God made bare his arm, and converted upwards of twenty souls, many of whom are still with us. Before the above revival we had only about six members in society; now we have thirty. To God be all the praise!

We opened a new chapel at this place on the 10th and 17th of February, 1856. On the 10th Mr. A. Mills (Wesleyan) preached in the morning, and Mr. S. Longdin, of Manchester, in the afternoon and evening; and on the 17th Mrs. Lynn (New Connexionist) in the morning and afternoon, and the writer at night. The collections and donations amounted to nearly £24. This we consider excellent for a small village.

The chapel is built of beautiful stone, rock faced, covered with good blue slate, is 36 feet by 27 feet inside, 10 feet from the floor to the square, and open to the top. We have a good vestry, 4 yards square. The land is leasehold, for 999 years; and the deeds Connexional, and regularly enrolled. Our outlay at present is £225, towards which we have got, from all sources, £123 17s. 10d. ...

We tender our sincere thanks to our numerous friends in the neighbourhood, and in the town of Rochdale, who have so nobly assisted us in monetary matters ;- to Thomas Heap, Esq., for a donation of £5, and to his three sons for £5 among them; and to Henry Kelsall, Esq., for a donation of £5. But, most of all, do we thank God for the abundance of his mercy, both in temporal and spiritual things."

Raising the money wasn't easy; by the time of chapel opening "We are still in want of a fence, and a few other conveniences, and we purpose in a short time having a few pews. These things will amount to about £50, most of which we expect to be able to raise without adding to the debt."

The chapel became New Hey Methodist church. On the site by 2008 is a residential care home.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine April 1856 pp.243-244

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.