Crabtree Green Primitive Methodist chapel

location of Crabtree Green Primitive Methodist chapel

Crabtree Green, Wrexham LL13 0YG

By Christopher Hill

The opening of Crabtree Green, Eaton (Eyton), Primitive Methodist chapel in the Wrexham Mission is described by W Sapcoat in the 1856 Primitive Methodist magazine.

"Eaton was the first place visited by the Primitive Methodist missionaries in this station near thirty years ago. Since then the society has passed through various trials incidental to cottage preaching. Of late, brothers E. Allen and P. Woodall have made us every accommodation that small cottages could afford, for which the society is grateful.

Within the last two years the Calvinistic Methodists have built a new chapel, and the one they did occupy became vacant. This chapel we have taken on rent. It was formerly let for £6 yearly, but through the kindness of the owner, it is let to our society for £2 per annum.

On Sunday, April 20th, 1856, W. Sapcoat preached three opening sermons to overflowing congregations; a good influence attended the word, and the collections exceeded our expectations. On the following day, an excellent public tea was provided, to which 140 persons sat down. A public meeting was held afterwards, which was addressed by Messrs. R. Davies, R. Hamner, S. Ellis, E. Jones, and W. Sapcoat.

The proceeds of these services have been applied to the fitting up of the chapel. These are the property of the Connexion, and the expenses were all met. To God be all the glory! "

The chapel is marked on the 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map of 1899. By 1912, the building is still there but the label is gone. On Google Street View in 2009, the site is occupied by a small copse.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine July 1856 pp.443-444

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 29/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.