Brighton Sussex Street Primitive Methodist chapel

location of the former Brighton Sussex Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Sussex Street Brighton BN2 9QJ

By Christopher Hill

Robert Elleray identifies Brighton's Sussex Street Primitive Methodist chapel as the first Primitive Methodist place of worship in Sussex - the phrase used in an account by John Maylard in the 1856 Primitive Methodist Magazine of the opening of what is called Brighton Primitive Methodist chapel. The chapel was needed; "we are believing for increased usefulness in this populous town, where thousands resort to seek only pleasure alone, and where thousands more are living on the spoils of iniquity"

Opening celebrations took place from July 13th, 1856. Sermons were preached by the Revs. W. B. Stephenson (Wesleyan), R. Hamilton (Independent), Paul Fosket and J. Maylard. 

The ground was freehold and the chapel measuring 35 feet by 38 feet was high enough for a gallery. The total cost, including the land, was about £350 of which they owed £150. Particular thanks were due to Mrs. Cheesman for some profitable tea-meetings; the Misses Millyard for diligent collecting; Mr. Chapman for the mason’s work at a reduced price; Mr. Edwards  for purchasing the timber, planing the roof, etc., gratuitously; Mr. Dowall  for the painting and glazing; Mr. Staley, Mr. Tichbon, and Mr. Chapman.

The Sussex Street area was extensively redeveloped after World War II.


Reference

Elleray, D. Robert (2004). Sussex Places of Worship. Worthing: Optimus Books. ISBN 0-9533132-7-1.

Primitive Methodist Magazine September 1856 p.551

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 01/04/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.