Brandon Creek Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

In the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1856 William Yeadon.  writes:

BRANDON CREEK, SOHAM AND ELY CIRCUIT."At this place we have for some time past worshipped in a rented house fitted up with seats, etc.; but having a Sabbath-school and an increasing society and congregation, we were often put to great inconvenience. Last May the writer laid the case before Edward Foster, Esq., of Cambridge; and he at once gave us a piece of freehold land, upon which we have erected a small chapel 21 feet by 18% feet. It contains 60 letable seats, which are all let, and more are wanted; there are also free seats for the children. It is a very compact and neat little sanctuary, well suited to the neighbourhood.

It was opened for Divine worship on Sunday, July 27th, 1856, when three sermons were preached; in the morning by W. Yeadon, in the afternoon by J. Burgess, and in the evening by B. Redhead. On the following Tuesday a tea-meeting was held, when 120 per sons attended, after which a sermon was preached by W. Yeadon. The collections were noble. The total cost of the undertaking is near £70, towards which near £40 has been raised. May this little sanctuary be the birth-place of many souls."

A Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the 1887 Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map on the A10 where the telephone exchange is in 2015, just north of the village. The chapel is still on the 1965 Ordnance Survey map but has disappeared by 1979.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1856 p.617

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 05/04/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.