St Helens Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

There is an account by Ambrose Kirkland of the opening of St Helens Primitive Methodist chapel in the Lymm circuit in the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine.

A society was first formed through missions in 1842 and from 1845 rented a chapel for £10 which, being "in a back street in a bad situation, few people attended it." In June 1857 they leased a site "near to one of the best streets in the place" and built a chapel measuring 39' x 30' with 14" thick walls. It cost £435 of which they had raised only £120, and because trade was bad they delayed begging for a while. JW Glover presented the with the pulpit, pews and stove from the old chapel.

The chapel opened on December 20th 1857. Rev J Garner (Liverpool), Rev G Hurst (Wesleyan of St Helens) Miss Buck (Leicester and Rev A Kirkland were amongst the preachers.  A tea meeting held in January fed over 200 people who heard sermons by Messrs Owen, Sposh, Lydiatt, Drought and Kirkland.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine May 1858 pp.309-310

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/04/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.