Great Ponton Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Great Ponton Primitive Methodist chapel

Mill Lane, Great Ponton NG33 5DT

By Christopher Hill

The foundation stone for Great Ponton Primitive Methodist chapel near Grantham was laid by Thomas Herbert of Nottingham on Thursday June 10th at 4:00 p.m. The preacher was Rev W Carthy who described the event in the Primitive Methodist Magazine.

The ceremony was followed by tea for 100 people in a large barn lent by Mr Lord  "well cleaned and decorated with evergreens, flowers etc." Speakers included W Neale of Grantham, J Hall of Nottingham, F Betts of Ponton, JG Smith of Grantham and W Carthy of Bottesford. 

The chapel site was on Mill Lane, opposite the village school. There are now houses on the site.

Thanks were due to Earl of Dysart for the land and C Manners, his agent.

The chapel was built and closed around 1940.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine October 1858 p.623-624

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 29/04/2017.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. MLI99328: Mill Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel, Great Ponton, built 1858, closed c.1940 (later demolished).

Ref. Meth/C/Great Ponton, Mill Lane/C/3/1: 42 items from 1945 to 1947, concerning the following: (condition after military usage):

Compensation Claim following the de-requisitioning of Chapel after its use by the military authorities during this second world war, etc.

....................

Just around the corner from Mill Lane on the road named Dallygate the Wesleyan Chapel can be viewed on the current Google Sat map, now a private home.

Ref. Meth/C/Great Ponton, Dallygate/D/1/4: (documents for Wesleyan Chapel): Correspondence regarding deed of gift by the Buckmister Estate regarding the Wesleyan Chapel and the former Primitive Methodist Chapel, 24 items filed over period 1945 to 1947. 

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 14/06/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.