Gloucester Primitive Methodist chapel

Lower Barton Street, Gloucester

By Christopher Hill

The foundation stone of Gloucester Primitive Methodist chapel in Lower Barton Street was laid on Wednesday 15th September 1858  by Rev T Hobson of Hereford. The ceremony was followed by tea for 130 people in the Ryecroft chapel with addresses by Rev T Roberts (Countess of Huntingdon chapel), W Collings (Baptist), JP Bellingham of Stroud and T Hobson.

The opening took place From January 2nd 1859. Preachers at the services and tea meeting (again held in Rycroft chapel) were Revs R Harltey (Bristol) W Collings (Baptist), T Hobson (Hereford) and TW Nelson (Wesleyan). 

The chapel which seated around 200 was a plain and substantial building. It cost £330 of which they borrowed £200 "on equitable charge" at 4% backed up by a promisory note.

MIss Price gave a bible and a cushion for the pulpit.

J Wenn describes the occasions in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

The Victoria County History of Gloucestershire tells us that the Barton Street chapel put  such a financial burden on the society that it affected the ability to fund other churches and missions in the circuit.

"In 1869 seating in the Barton Street chapel, which had a gallery, was increased. The average attendance at the principal services was 130. From 1875 the chapel, to which a schoolroom had been added, faced competition from an Anglican church and a Congregational chapel and in 1881 it had morning and evening congregations of only 26 and 70. In 1882 the Prims sold it and moved to a new and much larger chapel on the other side of the road."


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1858 p.687

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1859 p.171

Victoria County History of Gloucestershire, accessed through British History online May 2nd 2017 at:  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol4/pp319-334#h3-0008

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 02/05/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.