Horbury Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Horbury Primitive Methodist Chapel' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Horbury Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

Trevor Ashton

near Wakefield, Yorkshire

By Jill Barber

Ebenezer Chapel was built in 1875 at a cost of £3,310. The first chapel had been built in 1841, and the first Sunday-school building in 1859. In 1907, a new school was built at a cost of £3,329, with seating for 600. For more about the history of this chapel see Horbury Circuit.

A copy of a Primitive Methodist Hymnal was recently given to the British Heart Foundation in Scunthorpe.  Inside is this inscription,

'Primitive Methodist New Sunday Schools, Horbury. Presented by the Trustees to Mr & Mrs C F Stanger on the occasion of laying Memorial Stones, June 23rd 1906.'

It is signed by William Bennion (Minister), John Goldthorpe (Treasurer), W H Lawrence and D Cave (Secretaries).

added by CH Sept 2017

The first chapel was opened on September 23 1841. It measured 36' x 31'6", 25'6" high and was stone-built. It cost £440. John Brownson describes the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine. Names he mentions include Mr Whitworth (Architect); Mr W Sanderson; Thomas Scales (Leeds); J. Sowerby (Flockton, Independents); Bro. T. Holliday; Mr Kilner (Independent); Bro. Brownson; Bro. W. Antliff; Bro. J. Verity; Viscount Morpeth; Viscount Milton; Hon. J.S. Wortley MP.

The article is transcribed by David Tonks in the attached document.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1842 March Pages 106-108

 

Downloads

Opening of Horbury chapel
Opening of Horbury chapel (79k)
Primitive Methodist magazine 1842 p 106-108 transcribed by David Tonks

This page was added by Jill Barber on 20/07/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.