Mary Ann Harper (1848-1903)

THE LATE MRS. HARPER

The funeral took place of the late Mrs. Harper, who died on the previous Monday at Chipping Norton. Deceased, who is the daughter of Mr. Godfrey, of the Acacias, Newbury, was married about eighteen months ago to the Rev. J. Harper. She was taken ill about three weeks since with what appeared to be an attack of influenza, which in the later stages developed rapidly, and her death until a few hours previously was quite unexpected. The body was brought by train to Newbury, and on being met at the Railway Station was taken direct to the Primitive Methodist Church, where a large congregation had assembled. The Revs. J. Neville and W. bridge took part in the service. A hymn was sung with the refrain “There is sweet rest in heaven” and as the remains were borne away the voluntary “Know that my Redeemer liveth” was played by Mr. Smith, the organist. The body was conveyed to the cemetery when the service was brought to a conclusion.

The mourners included Mr. Godfrey (father), Rev. J. Harper (husband), Rev. C. Spooner (brother-in-law), Mrs. Spooner (sister), Mr. W. Godfrey (brother), Mrs. W. Godfrey (sister-in-law), Mrs. J. Godfrey (sister-in-law), Mr. Stanley Godfrey, Mr. E. Godfrey, Mr. G. Spooner, Mr. F. Spooner, Mr. P. Spooner (nephews) Miss M. Godfrey (niece), Rev. J. Harper, Rev. F. Harper, Miss Harper, Miss Taylor, Mrs. Neville, Mrs. Bell etc.

Wreaths were sent by the Father, Charlie, Bess and Boys (Hackney), Will and Agnes (Stroud), Auntie, Nellie and family, Daisy and Ivo, Mary, Mr. and Mrs Griffin and family, Mr and Mrs Thompson (Stroud), Miss Friskin (Fulham), the Mothers' Meeting, Bartholomew Street Sunday School, the Church and Christian Endeavour, Chipping Norton.

A memorial service was held on Sunday evening, the Rev. J. Neville speaking from “The time is short,” words, he said, which had been ringing in his ears the whole of the week. He spoke of the deceased as having been identified with this church for the past fifty years, originally as a scholar, then as a member, teacher, and conductor of Bible and society classes. To the various institutions of this house of prayer she was warmly attached – the Mothers' Meeting, the clothing Club, the Sunday School; while her generous sympathies went out to the Orphanage, the Missionary Society, and in many ways she took a deep interest in the training of the young, and in visiting the afflicted and the sorrowing. Beyond the home circle her loss would be deplored. Her last declaration was that all was well; and with her eye fixed on the Eternal One, she passed away into endless light. The service closed with the singing of the hymn:-

“Friend after friend departs;

Who has not lost a friend”

Newbury Weekly News 24 September 1903

This page was added by Jill Barber on 21/07/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.