George Guyatt (1822-1904)

THE LATE MR GEORGE GUYATT

By the death of Mr. George Guyatt, No. 1 St Bartholomew's Almshouses becomes vacant.

Deceased was born at Fosbury in 1822 and came to Newbury in 1846 as carter for Mr, Alfred Smith, who at that time carried on Greenham Mills. Afterwards, on the death of his brother, Mr. Guyatt, succeeded to the business of market gardener at Greenham, until disturbed in the possession of the land he occupied by the making of the Didcot Railway. He then went on for his late landlord, Mr. Danford Skinner, but about ten years ago had the good fortune to be appointed by St. Bartholomew's Almshouses, where the remainder of his days was spent. For well nigh 40 years he was a local preacher amongst the Primitive Methodists, with whom he was identified prior to Newbury, and his quaint and homely way of putting the truths of the Bible, which was the one book he read, rendered him acceptable as a speaker to people of his own class.

He was buried on Friday at the Cemetery, being followed by his two daughters, Mrs. F. Woodward (Eastfields), and Mrs. J.H. Karn (Chatham), with others members of the family. The two sons of the deceased emigrated some years since, one being established in Knox, Indiana, U.S.A., and the other at Too Wong, near Brisbane, Queensland. Deceased leaves 21 grandchildren and 4 great grand-children.

Newbury Weekly News 10 March 1904

This page was added by Jill Barber on 21/07/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.