Bury Primitive Methodist chapel

Bolton circuit

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine tells us that Bury Primitive Methodist chapel in the Bolton circuit was re-opened in September (?) 1833, although it doesn't tell us when it was first opened.

The original chapel which measured 30'(w) x 42'(l) had dry rot so the Trustees agreed to take off the roof, raise the walls, put in a gallery and build three cottages.

The account is written by S Tillotson.

The Gen UKI website shows a later Primitive Methodist chapel in Walmersley Road founded before 1895. The society originally worshipped in a building on the west side of Walmersley Road - perhaps the 1833 chapel - opposite St Marks Square. When the New Jerusalem Church left its premises slightly closer to the town centre, the Primitive Methodists acquired them for use as a Sunday School. Later the Prim chapel was sold for use as a hat factory and the NJ building was used for services. Both buildings are now demolished.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1834 p.113

Gen UKI website:   http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Bury/WalmersleyRdPrimitiveMethodist  accessed August 21st 2017

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 21/08/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.