Jamestone Primitive Methodist chapel

Location of the former Jamestown Primitive Methodist chapel

Jameston, Tenby SA70 8QE

By Christopher Hill

Jamestone Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1831, thanks in no small part to D Lewis who "exerted himself like a true Welshman and Primitive Methodist in the erection of this chapel". The new chapel measured 17'(w) x 24'(l).

Opening services took place on 06/03/1831.  Speakers at the opening included Mr Chase, Thomas Morgan and Sister E James.  Donors included Sir John Owen MP, Mr Allen Esq., Mr Lansdown, D John & D Lewis.

The opening was described by T Morgan in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

Ordnance Survey maps of 1866 show Jamestone Primitive Methodist chapel opposite the current Swan Lake Inn. From Google Street View in September 2011, it looks as though that building still exists.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1832 page 70

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 29/08/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.