Lanwimp (Llanwhimp/Llanirhimp) Primitive Methodist chapel

location of Lanwimp Primitive Methodist chapel

Boughrood, Brecon LD3 0BZ

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by J Richards of the opening of Lanwimp (sic) Primitive Methodist chapel in the Presteign circuit.

"On Sunday August 16. 1829, was opened our new chapel adjoining Lanwimp Common, in the parish of Boughrood, in Radnorshire.  Three sermons were preached on the occasion; Br. Jones from Tredegar, preached at eleven o'clock in the forenoon; Mr. Jones, an Independant minister, at three in the afternoon, and the writer at six in the evening.  The chapel was crowded, and many could not get in.

This chapel is 27 feet long inside, 17 wide, and 16 high.  It has three large windows, a neat pulpit, a large singing seat; it has good forms, and is well finished.  The kind farmers drawed all the materials gratis, with the exception of one pound, and that was returned at the opening; and the collections and donations were liberal.

It is situated on the side of a pleasant bank, and is well attended."

The 1851 Religious Census contains the following entry:

Llanirhimp, Ebenezer Chapel, Primitive Methodist. Erected 1829. Attendance - morning 30, afternoon 107, evening 64.

      Edward Powell, Occasional Minister, Boughrood Court

location: SO14164040

In 2011 the chapel still stands next to the farm at Cornhill, north-east of Boughrood. Although unused, it is a protected heritage site and appears to be in sound condition with various building materials stacked against it.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine Feb 1830 page 63

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 01/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.