Chesterfield Primitive Methodist chapel

approximate position of the 1848 Primitive Methodist chapel in Chapel Yard, Beetwell Street

By Christopher Hill

When first established in Chesterfield, the Primitive Methodist society rented an old Independent chapel but the chapel needed repair and was too small, so they opened a new one.  The new chapel was built of stone in the Gothic style and measured  30'(w) x 48'(l) x 17'(h).  

The  foundation stone was laid on 6th October 1827 and the chapel opened on Sunday 18th May 1828. John Woolley described the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine.  He reports that the Sunday school grew rapidly, gaining 90 scholars since its opening.

The next major step in Chesterfield was the opening of Beetwell Street chapel in 1848. It seated 600.  This served until 1882 when Holywell Cross chapel was opened on the site of a former infants' school. 

A picture of Holywell Cross chapel can be seen here.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine for 1829 page 241

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 05/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.