York Primitive Methodist chapel

probably location of 1820 York Grape Lane chapel

Grape Lane (?), York

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist chapel in York was opened on Sunday 2nd of July 1820.  Preachers at the opening were John Verity, John Woolhouse and William Clowes.  John Woolhouse wrote about it in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

This chapel could have been the predecessor to Ebenezer chapel, opened in 1851 in Little Stonegate.


Reference

Primitive Methodist chapel 1821 page 94

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 11/09/2017.
Comments about this page

Borthwick Institute (part of York University):

Ref. MR/Y/GL: Grape Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel, York. Documents from c.1829 to c.1851.

This Chapel was actually built in 1781 for the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, a small society founded by Selina, Countess of Huntingdon. It was sold in 1798 for a Wesleyan worship place but only briefly because in 1820 it was rented by the Primitive Methodist who purchased it outright in 1829. The PM Chapel closed in 1851, the increasing congregation having been asked to be transferred to the PM Chapel in Little Stonegate.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 04/06/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.