Bilston Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Bilston High Street Primitive Methodist chapel

High Street, Bilston

By Christopher Hill

The first Primitive Methodist Chapel in Bilston was opened in December 1825. Bilston High Street Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in July 1841.

Mr Brueton, theprincipal mortgagee, gave £53 and new pulpit). The Duke of Sutherland made the land freehold. Mr G. Jones, himself a Local preacher, gave stones for foundations

Other names mentioned for preaching at the opening and support in the achievement included Mr Thompson who gave liberally; Mr Jones (ironmaster); Col. Anson; Mr Fisher; Mr W. Brownhill (Local preacher); Mr Mills (Wesleyan); Mr Turner; ; Mr E. Thomas (Circuit steward); Mr Hardy; Bro. T. Batty (Dudley); Bro. A. F. Beckerlegge (York); M.C. Buck; E. Grice; R. Jukes.

R Jukes wrote about the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

The new chapel measured 13 yards x 14 yards and was 25' high. It had a tower measuring 10' x 8' at the front 'intended for a town clock'. 

The land had been purchased in 1837 for £272 10s 4d. 

The High Street Chapel became the head of the Primitive Methodist Circuit, consisting initially of five chapels but later increasing to eight. A Sunday School was built in 1861 which also acted as a Day School from 1886 until 1906. The High Street Chapel was closed in December 1962 when a number of Methodist churches in Bilston joined together.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1841 page 20-21

 

Downloads

Opening of Bilston chapel (13k)
Primitive Methodist magazine 1842 p20-21 transcribed by David Tonks

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 18/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.