New Buildings Primitive Methodist chapel

location of the former New Buildings Primitive Methodist chapel

Peasedown St John BA2 8LA

By Christopher Hill

New Buildings Primitive Methodist chapel in the Radstock circuit opened on Christmas Day 1840. Opening preachers were Brother Coxhead (Bristol) and Bro. Rawlings (Market Lavington).

The chapel measured 30' x 22', was stone-built and covered with pantiles. It took them a while to raise the money - and they were reluctant to start building until they had the money to finish it. It gained the nickname "Standstill"

The opening is described by R Langford in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

New Buildings is in the parish of Dunkerton, south of Carlingcott and west of Peasedown. There is a PM Chapel on the OS 25" plan 1904 at GR ST695575.  It is still there on the 1931 1:2,500 map but although the building is still there in 1860, it is not labelled as a chapel

There appears to be a building on this site on Bing Hybrid.


Reference 

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1842 page 21

 

Downloads

Opening of New Buildings chapel
Opening of New Buildings chapel (75k)
Primitive Methodist magazine 1842 p 21 transcribed by David Tonks

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.