The Quinton Primitive Methodist chapel

approximate location of the 1840 Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The foundation stone of The Quinton Primitive Methodist chapel in Halesowen parish was laid on June 20th 1840 and the chapel opened on opened on 8th November 1840.

Bethesda chapel which measured 32' x 24' and cost £301 16s 4½d, replaced a barn at Monckton Farm previously used as a chapel. There was a gallery, kitchen, parlour and workshop.   

In the Ecclesiastical Census (30 March1851) there were 214 adults and 222 Sunday School scholars at Primitive Chapel.

Bourne College, one of Primitive Methodism's two boarding schools, opened in Quinton in 1882; Governor, Rev George Middleton, became the first minister resident in Quinton. Bourne College closed in 1928.  

In 1888 a second Primitive Methodist Chapel ("College Road") opened to replace the 1840 building. This became Quinton Methodist church after Union. It was demolished following the compulsory purchase of the College Road premises for building of the M5 motorway.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine Jan 1842

 

Downloads

Opening of The Quinton chapel
Opening of The Quinton chapel (104k)
Primitive Methodist magazine 1842 p 23-25 transcribed by David Tonks

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.