Lower Gornal Primitive Methodist chapel

location of 1841 Lower Gornal Primitive Methodist chapel

Lake Street DY3 2AU

By Christopher Hill

The opening of Lower Gornal Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded by T Batty in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

"GORNALL chapel is twenty-four feet by twenty-four, and fifteen feet from the floor to the ceiling.  There are two dwelling:houses connected with it in the same range, which are expected to be a great benefit to  the place if properly managed.  This chapel was opened on Sundays, Nov. 7 and 14, 1841, by Brother B. Brown, Miss M. Brown, Mrs. E. Brownhill, and Brother T. Batty.  The collections were rather small, owing, in a degree, to the severity of the weather.  Several have since joined the society." transcribed by David Tonks

Ordnance Survey maps from 1882 show a Primitive Methodist chapel at Lake Street, at the corner of Turner Street. The current chapel dates from 1926 and is on the opposite side of the road to the 1841 building.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1842 page 133

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 20/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.