Belfast Melbourne Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Melbourne Street

By Christopher Hill

The foundation stone for Belfast Melbourne Street Primitive Methodist chapel was laid in 1842.

"This took place, amidst a great concourse of people, at one o’clock in the afternoon of Easter Monday, March 28th, 1842.  In the evening of the same day, a public tea-party was held, which was supported by a number of respectable collectors.  It is remarkable, that from the day on which we laid the foundation-stone, until the chapel was nearly ready for the roof, not one shower of rain fell upon it  It was opened for divine worship on sabbath days, September 4th and 11th, 1842.  

It is remarkable, that from the day on which we laid the foundation-stone, until the chapel was nearly ready for the roof, not one shower of rain fell upon it."

The opening and the story behind it are described by W Wyld in the Primitive Methodist magazine for June 1843. It is transcribed by David Tonks in the attached document. 

The names associated with the opening included Brother James Garner (Preston), Brother  Henry Wheeler (Lisburn mission), Rev. Daniel McAfee (Wesleyan, Belfast) and Mr William Sands, the builder.

The new chapel was brick built, measured 32' x 40' and was 14' high.

The chapel was sold in 1910. It became a ‘Picture Palace (1913-19) and was then bought by Elim Assembly. It was demolished to make way for MI-Westlink in 1968.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1843 Pages 223-224

 

Downloads

Opening of Belfast chapel
Opening of Belfast chapel (79k)
account of the opening of Belfast chapel, transcribed by David Tonks from the Primitive Methodist magazine of August 1843 page 223-224

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 03/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.