Walpole St Peter Primitive Methodist chapel

location of Walpole St Peter Primitive Methodist chapel on 1888 OS map

By Christopher Hill

The opening of Walpole St Peter Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1836 by Edmund Butters and Michael Taylor.

Opening services took place on 02/10/1835 and 04/10/1835 when the preachers were G Tetley, M Olphin and G Flint. The new chapel measured 18' (w) by 27' (l). It was one of five chapels opened in the Wisbech circuit at the time which had a total cost of £440. Mr & Mrs Waller donated £45.

The Ordnance Survey map of 1886 shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on Chalk Road, south of its junction with Pycroft Lane.

By 1971 it is marked as Methodist church.It's not visible on StreetView in 2009


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1836 page 63

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 04/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.