Downham Market Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Primitive Methodist Chapel in London Road

By Christopher Hill

Downham Market Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on 31/08/1834. In the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1836 Samuel Atterby describes it as a "beautiful chapel formed from a place offered by Mr Chapman."

The chapel was so successful that within a year it was enlarged by the addition of a gallery. Re-opening services were held on 20/02/1835 + 22/02/1835.

Preachers at the opening and re-opening services included Mrs Olphin, Mr Tetley, Mrs Hardwick and  Brothers Steele & Hill.

The 1887 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on London Road. It is still there as the Methodist church in 1965 but has disappeared by 1971. Was this the same location as the 1835 chapel?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine of 1836 page 103

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 04/10/2017.
Comments about this page

In September 1870, there was an article in the Norfolk News of the Primitive Methodists laying the foundation stone for their new chapel at Downham Market. The site is described as being nearly opposite the courthouse on London Road.

The foundation stone was laid by Thomas Rose of Ten Mile Bank. Mr J Kerridge of Wisbech was the architect and Mr R Skipper of Dearham the builder.

By Stephen Rayner
On 05/03/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.