Brampton Primitive Methodist Chapel, Moatside

Photo:about to be demolished 27 February 2013

about to be demolished 27 February 2013

Iain Parsons

Photo:Look at the size of the buttress!

Look at the size of the buttress!

Iain Parsons, 27 Feb 2013

Photo:The end of the chapel, 15 March 2013

The end of the chapel, 15 March 2013

Iain Parsons

Photo:Head of Hugh Bourne

Head of Hugh Bourne

Photo:Head of William Clowes

Head of William Clowes

Photo:Copies of the heads of Bourne and Clowes which were made from those on the dripstones of the old Primitive Chapel. These are now mounted in the Crush Hall of the present Methodist Church.

Copies of the heads of Bourne and Clowes which were made from those on the dripstones of the old Primitive Chapel. These are now mounted in the Crush Hall of the present Methodist Church.

Iain Parsons

Photo:Chapel c1904

Chapel c1904

Photo:Brampton with PM Chapel on left, c1902

Brampton with PM Chapel on left, c1902

Photo:Chapel from the rear

Chapel from the rear

Photo:Chapel converted to Playhouse

Chapel converted to Playhouse

Photo:Brampton Primitive Methodist Chapel as Playhouse theatre in 1991

Brampton Primitive Methodist Chapel as Playhouse theatre in 1991

Keith Guyler 1991

Built in 1879 and demolished in 2013

Photographs of this chapel were taken as it was being demolished to make way for a housing development.

Iain Parsons reported,  'the structure had become dangerous and there was no chance to stabilise it without horrendous expense. Even then, the prognosis would have been very doubtful. There is a space like a missing front tooth on the Moatside at present. It is hoped that the dripstone heads can be saved.'

This page was added by Jill Barber on 18/02/2013.
Comments about this page

The dripstone heads were rescued from the demolished chapel, although sadly with some damage to the back of Hugh Bourne's head and William Clowes' nose. Iain Parsons brought them to Englesea Brook Museum, where they are now on display in the 'Bourne and Clowes Room' at the Museum.

By Jill Barber
On 26/01/2014

Brampton Moatside, PM Chapel, Cumberland

This chapel was built in 1879 at a cost of £1149. It had 300 lettable and 50 free sittings. (Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/1/26)

By GW Oxley
On 10/12/2014

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.