Calees Primitive Methodist Chapel, The Banks, Brampton

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Calees Primitive Methodist Chapel, The Banks, Brampton' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Calees Primitive Methodist Chapel, The Banks, Brampton' page

1874-2004

By Iain Parsons

Banks was visited by Primitive Methodist missionaries as early as 1824, and again in 1846/7. The converts, however, drifted elsewhere and no society was formed there.

Eventually a society at Calees was formed, which met in the home of John Holmes. Eventually he and his family provided the land for the chapel to be built in 1874, 'at a cost of £200 and free of debt'. The chapel bears the name of his house.

The chapel celebrated its centenary in 1974, but the final service was conducted by Rev David Emison, the Chair of the Cumbria District, on Sunday 29 August 2004.

 

This page was added by Jill Barber on 18/02/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.