“Bow Brickhill, Leighton Buzzard Circuit.—Dear Brother Antliff,—The opening of this chapel was resumed on Sunday, July 27th , 1862, when three sermons were preached, those in the morning and evening by Mr. J. Wilson, and that in the afternoon by Mr. Bradley, from Chesterfield ; and the day following a tea and public meeting was held, and well sustained.
About 60 of our friends from Leighton in conveyances nobly coming up to the help of our cause and interest at Brickhill, about 150 sat down to tea in a meadow, and we had a very good meeting in the chapel in the evening, presided over by Mr. J. Hopkins, and soul stirring addresses were delivered by Messrs. Butler, Watkins, Denchfield, Marriott, Forth, Bradley, Birks, and Wilson.
The chapel is freehold, and it is 18ft. by 28, and 16 ft. to the wall plate ; it is well lighted, has a boarded floor, and is furnished with rail back-seats, and a rostrum with book board, &c, and plenty of room for enlargement if required. The whole cost, including £25 for the freehold land, given by our kind friend, Mr. J. Palmer, (of London), is about £110. We leave £60 debt for the trustees, which can be met with seat rents, leaving anniversaries and special efforts to reduce the debt annually.
The Lord be praised for the help afforded to the present, and many thanks to those who have worked and subscribed towards the erection of this another Sanctuary for God. May many souls be converted in it for His name’s sake. J. Wilson.”
A Primitive Methodist chapel is shown towards the western end of Church Lane on the 1881 Ordnance Survey map. On the 1900 and 1925 maps it is a mission room. On Street View in 2015 the Church Hall is on the site.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1862 page 754