Luton; Dunstable Road Primitive Methodist Chapel
Dunstable Road Primitive Methodist Chapel, Luton was opened in 1905 using a mission church formerly at Mount Tabor Chapel. The Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle reported on 9 November 1905 that on the previous Sunday, ‘Rev F Shergold preached at the morning and evening services to crowded congregations, many persons being unable at night to gain admittance.’ It also reported that a service of song was held in the afternoon and 40 children had been enrolled in the Sunday School. Prior to this from 23 to 4 October 1906 an Evangelistic Campaign conducted by Enoch Milson of Hull had taken place.
Efforts were made to raise funds for a new and bigger church such a concert given by Miss F Davies and her party in 1917. In 1924, the new church situated on the corner of Dunstable and Oak Roads was built. The site was purchased for £500 and the building cost £3750.
Near to Dunstable Road PM was the Dallow Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, on the corner of Dale Road. In 1964, Dallow Road Chapel closed, the congregation joining Dunstable Road Church which was renamed Oakdale Methodist Church after Oak and Dale Roads.
Sources and References
Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle – 20 September 1906; 9 November 1906; 1 February 1917
Luton Methodism in the 20th Century