Aldworth Primitive Methodist Chapel, Berkshire

a stone of help

Aldworth Primitive Methodist Chapel, Berkshire
1864 Aldworth Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1996. It closed in the 1940s and was sold in 1947. At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph it was a house, The Old Chapel. | Keith Guyler 1996
1864 Aldworth Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1996. It closed in the 1940s and was sold in 1947. At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph it was a house, The Old Chapel.
Keith Guyler 1996

There was a Primitive Methodist chapel in Aldworth in 1835, which is very early, for the Berkshire mission was only formally inaugurated in 1829. On the Sunday of the 1851 religious census, the chapel reported a congregation of 50 in the afternoon and 60 in the evening. The census return was signed by James Coling, a farm labourer.

In 1864 a new chapel was erected and was called Ebenezer. This word means “Stone of Help”, and is taken from 1 Samuel 7.12, where we read that “Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Jeshanah, and called its name Ebenezer; for he said, ‘Hitherto the Lord has helped us.'”

No doubt the Primitive Methodists felt they had received the Lord’s help in at least two ways: in the drawing together by his Spirit of a lively congregation of believers, and in the provision of the land and the new chapel in which to meet.

Sadly the chapel is now a house, shown in the photograph.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone