Cookham Dean chapel was built of brick and flint in 1842 and rebuilt in 1858. On 30th March 1851 William Evans, the Steward, reported that the building could seat 156. The morning congregation had been 70, with 26 children. Afternoon and evening services had also been held, attracting 72 and 95 people respectively. Capacity had reduced by 1940 to 95.
The building closed for worship in 1972, and was subsequently sold and converted to residential use in 1977.
Next to the chapel was the Circuit burial ground, and a phtograph of this by Bill Smith may be viewed here
The grid reference for the building is SU871855
Stell, Christopher An inventory of nonconformist chapels and meeting-houses in South-West England. HMSO, 1991 p6
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accomodation as at July 1st 1940
A brief history of the Thames Valley Circuit https://www.methodistthamesvalley.org.uk/about_circuit_history.html
Raymond Ella adds that he has noted the following records of the chapel.
Berkshire Record Office :
Cookham Dean Primitive Methodist, ref. D/MS 12, documents c.1842-1932, 1933-1978.
Cookham Dean Primitive Methodist, ref. D/MC15/7A/1, Baptisms, 1885-1932,1933-1956.
Cookham Dean Primitive Methodist, ref. D/MS 12/5C/1, Burials, earlier…?, from c.1908-1978.
Cookham Dean Primitive Methodist, monumental inscriptions, (stones readable ), copy in searchroom.
The London Gazette, Dec., 14th., 1860 , page 5044.
Under this section is a mention that marriages have been allowed for the Cookham Dean Primitive Methodist Chapel, 7th Dec., 1860.