Courage (Curridge) Primitive Methodist chapel
The opening collections amounted to five pounds, one shilling, and five-pence, given chiefly by the poorest class, and composed of the smallest pieces of money.
Primitive Methodists were predominantly poor, working class people, with many of them agricultural labourers. The story of the opening of the Primitive Methodist chapel in Courage, a hamlet in the Chievely parish illustrates how difficult it was to build a chapel – and how prayer helped them achieve it.
The story is set out by Henry Sharman in the Primitive Methodist magazine, transcribed below.
Courage chapel in the Shefford circuit was opened on November 8th 1840.
The chapel, which measured 24′ x 18′ was built of brick and slate, had 9″ walls and four sash windows.
Names of people involved included Earl of Radnor (who gave the land); Thomas Baker (who gave £65 and challenged the society to respond); John Ride; Mrs Ride; Henry Sharman; Mr Harland (Isle of Whight [sic])
Address: Chapel Lane, Curridge. GR: SU490718. OS 25″ 1899.
On the 1933 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map it is marked as Methodist church. On the 1977 map it is labelled as Chapel Cottage.
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1841 page 65-67