Didcot Primitive Methodist chapel was in the Broadway. It appears on Ordnance Survey maps of 1898 when the area is labelled Newtown, 1910, when it is called North Hagbourne, and 1932. A Wesleyan Methodist chapel appears a little further to the west at the junction with Mereland Road between the 1898 and 1910 maps.
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel is the current (2023) Didcot Methodist church. The Primitive Methodist chapel has been demolished and there is a commercial building on the site.
Thanks to John Rowland for further detail.
Quite soon after Methodist Union in 1932 the Prims took the brave decision to join with the ex-Wesleyans. So in a public act they marched up the Didcot Broadway the100 yards or so and the two congregations became one. However the PM premises remained in use by the united church – the ex-Wesleyan had no hall, only the sanctuary, a school room, a tiny kitchen and the vestry. The former PM premises were much in use for social events, plays, concerts, special week-ends etc.
Throughout the 1939-45 war the ex-PM building was opened as a canteen for service personnel and was much used. Didcot was a garrison town and had an operational airfield only a few miles away. Members of the church staffed the canteen during those years and it made a valuable contribution for the many hundreds who used it.
In the late 1940’s and into the ’50’s the building returned to its use for the church’s social activities. But then a hall was built next to the ex-Wesleyan premises and so the life of the Methodist Church in Didcot was now centred there. The decision was taken to sell the ex PM premises. It was, in fact, bought by a local radio & television Company and continued in that use for a good many years.
Ruby Moxon who lived to be a remarkable 105 years old shared her memories of her childhood at Didcot Primitive Methodist chapel. You can read it here