This Berkshire Chapel was in the Reading Circuit. It seems to have been fairly short lived, appearing on Ordnance Survey maps from 1875 to 1910. It was not registered in 1867, and does not appear on the 1940 Methodist Church Buildings returns. There was probably a Primitive Methodist presence in the settlement prior to this, however, as on 30th March 1851 Samuel Johnson, a Local Preacher, reported that two services had taken place in “a room in a cottage, the dwelling place of William Priest” in the parish of Waltham St. Lawrence. There had been 24 attendees in the afternoon, and 29 in the evening.
TNA HO 129/129/2
Raymond Ella adds:
Chapel House, The Street, Shurlock Row, Waltham St. Lawrence (near triange cross road, Martin’s Lane adjacent ).
On a O.S. Map : Berkshire, six inch scale, sheet XXX, surveyed 1872 to 1875, published 1883, Shurlock Row, Waltham St. Lawrence, Methodist Chapel and under (Primitive).
Google Sat-Map: Chapel House sited has in stated O.S. Map and the now address. The former chapel seems to have had an extention on the right, or built with it. The chapel closed before 1972.
Berkshire Record Office :
ref. D/MC 2/7Al2 and /3, Waltham St. Lawrence, Shurlock Row Primitive Methodist Chapel, baptisms in the circuit registers for this chapel, 1880-1901
By Raymond E. O. Ella (22/10/2021)