Theale Primitive Methodist chapel
High St, Theale, RG7 5AL
The opening of Theale Primitive Methodist chapel in the Reading circuit is described by TJ Penrose in the 1869 Primitive Methodist magazine.
He tells us that after meeting in a cottage for a number of years, the Primitive Methodist society in Theale started to build their own chapel. On August 24th 1869 the foundation stone was laid by WH Blatch, who sold the land, and the ceremony was followed by tea for 200 in his shed. Speakers included Rev TJ Penrose, J Herbert, H Kirk, GW Colebroke, G Moss, S Fawcett, E Bew and Rev D Kendall.
The chapel seated 150, cost £280, and opened on November 22nd 1868. Donors included G Palmer, W Palmer, S Barter, GW Colebroke, JS Nullis and Hy Kirk.
On Ordnance Survey maps, a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the northern side of High Street (formerly Bath Road) to the eastern of Brewery Court, opposite the end of Hoad Way. In 1972 it is marked as a warehouse.There is a modern office on the site
Primitive Methodist magazine 1869 page 105