Windsor Primitive Methodist chapel
Windsor Primitive Methodist chapel started life as the Ragged school room. They bought it for £30 and spent a further £10 on it; They had raised nearly £18 at the time of opening It seated 150 people.
The opening services were held from May 29th 1853. Preachers were J Petty (London), Rev W Knight, (Independent), Rev Edmunds (Independent and Dr Perry (Baptist).
The chapel was in “a locality greatly needing it”. After opening they formed a society of 13 members, based in the Maidenhead circuit.
An account of the opening was written in the Primitive Methodist magazine by C Robbins.
The society did not prosper, World War 1 took its toll and membership dropped. Shortly after the war, the Society decided they could no longer sustain themselves. The Chapel was closed, and sold to the Church of England to replace the Mission Church in River Street, which had become a clearance area. This continued until the 1960s when the area was rebuilt as the Ward Royal housing complex (opened by the Queen on 29th June 1969).
Primitive Methodist magazine August 1853 p.497
Windsor Methodist church website http://www.windsormethodist.church/history/ accessed 21 February 2017