Aylesbury Primitive Methodist chapel
Hale Leys; later New Street
In 1842, Samuel Turner tells us that:
“Aylesbury In this town our people worshipped in a small cottage in the outskirts of the town for near two years. Our prospects at that time were dark and discouraging. But mighty prayer to God has been the instrumental cause of bringing about a better state of things. A chapel called the Ebenezer, formerly occupied by an Independent minister, becoming vacant, (low and poor as the society was,) we ventured to take it, and fit it up. God approved of the undertaking. The first sermons were blest to the conversion of a man who is now a member of society.
December 23, 1838, Mrs. West preached morning and evening, and S. Turner in the afternoon; and on Christmas-day Mr. West preached morning and evening, and Mrs. West in the afternoon. The collections were liberal. Since its opening a Sunday school has been commenced, and the society has almost doubled.”
transcribed from the Primitive Methodist magazine by David Tonks
The 1851 Religious census records a Primitive Methodist Chapel in Aylesbury Hale Leys.
40 – Morning General Congregation; 77 – Morning Sunday Scholars
177 [sic] – Morning Total
130 – Afternoon General Congregation; 77 – Afternoon Sunday Scholars
207 – Afternoon Total
170 – Evening General Congregation
The 1877-1879 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map shows a Methodist chapel (which sort of Methodist unspecified) on Hale Street. By 1899 it has disappeared and a chapel is marked in New Street, opposite the former Royal Bucks Hospital (SP817141). It existed until the 1960s, when it was demolished due to road widening.
Primitive Methodist Magazine, December 1842 pages 452-455