High Wycombe Primitive Methodist chapel
Some of the early history of High Wycombe Primitive Methodist chapel is shown in the The Primitive Methodist magazine. The November 1848 magazine contains a report by Thomas Williams of the opening of the chapel on September 3rd 1848. Thirteen years later, in the 1861 magazine, M Wilson tells us about the re-opening of the chapel after it had been enlarged and a school room added.
At the re-opening services preachers included Revs. J. Hayden, E. Foizey, Messrs Hunt, Revs. T.H. Browne, D. Pledge and D. Kendall. Donors included Sir George Dashwood, M.P., Martin T. Smith, Esq-, M.P. and T. Wheeler.
The 1875 Ordnance Survey map marks a Primitive Methodist chapel on Frogmoor. Was that this chapel?
It might not be, because the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship has two reports of Primitive Methodist chapels in High Wycombe.
The 1897 Primitive Methodist magazine reports that the friends at Westbourne Street in the High Wycombe station were working hard to obtain the funds to erect a more commodious place of worship.
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1848 page 693
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1861 page 118
Primitive Methodist magazine 1897 page 233