Whitchurch Primitive Methodist chapel
High Street Whitchurch HP22 4JS
Samuel Turner describes in the 1842 Primitive Methodist magazine the opening of Whitchurch Primitive Methodist chapel:
“Whitchurch. This is a very large and populous village, five miles distant from Aylesbury. The word preached here had free course, and was glorified in the salvation of some of its worst inhabitants. The house in which we preached, though large, was too small frequently to contain the congregation. An eligible piece of ground in the centre of the village, with three houses, was offered for sale for one hundred and twenty-two pounds ten shillings. We purchased the whole, and have built a substantial chapel, thirty feet long, and twenty-two wide, in the clear. This chapel is placed in easy circumstances, with a good congregation and an increasing society. A Sunday school has since been established.”
transcribed by David Tonks
The chapel in Keith Guyler’s picture was rebuilt in 1889, although his notes do not say when it was first built.
In the 1851 religious census 160 people attended the Primitive Methodist chapel in the afternoon and 150 in the evening. Similar numbers attended the Wesleyan chapel. The 1851 Census records that the village population was 915.
Whitchurch Primitive Methodist chapel closed in 1935 and become a fire station. It was later converted into a four bedroomed house and you could have bought it in 2013 for just under £500,000.
Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1842 Pages 454