Wingrave Primitive Methodist chapel
Nup End Lane, Wingrave, HP22 4PX
The first Wingrave Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1841 and there is an account of it by Samuel Turner in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
“Wingrave.—Our labours for the last five years have very much contributed to the enlargement and establishment of another church in this village, for the want of a commodious place to accommodate our increasing congregation and society. At length a piece of land (freehold) was offered for sale, which we purchased for twelve pounds; upon which we have built a neat sanctuary for God to dwell in. Since its dedication, a revival of religion has changed the face of things. The chapel is filled to overflowing. The chapel is regularly settled on the Connexion, and every seat taken, and the society almost doubled.”
transcribed by David Tonks
A replacement chapel opened in 1859. This itself was rebuilt in 1906 ready for the Connexion Centenary celebrations of 1907.
In September 2009 Wingrave Methodist Church celebrated the 150th anniversary of its present building. It is still active in 2015.
Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1842 Pages 454-455