Woburn Sands Primitive Methodist chapel

Woburn Sands Primitive Methodist chapel

Woburn Sands, Aylesbury Circuit

A new gallery having been erected in our chapel at this place, the re-opening services were celebrated on Sunday, February 24th, 1861, when Mr. S. Turner preached morning and evening, and Mr. J. Wilson in the afternoon. On the day following at three o’clock, the Rev. S. Cowdy, (Baptist), preached in the Wesleyan chapel ; at half-past four, about 120 friends sat down to an excellent tea in our own chapel ; after which, a public meeting was held, presided over by Mr. J. Hopkins, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. Butler, Underwood, Alcock, Marriott, Wilson, and the writer. The congregations were large, and the donations and collections amounted to £15 1s. 7d.

Samuel Turner

On the 1881 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map, a Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on Aspley Hill. It is still marked as a chapel in 1972 but on Google Street View has been converted into a house. The circular carved date stone is still there but the writing has been obliterated. Is this the same chapel or a later one?


Primitive Methodist magazine 1861 pages 305-306


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone