In 1876 the Fitzroy Street society moved to the Tabernacle on Newmarket Road.The 1920 Christian Messenger tells us that the move was not a success.
“The Tabernacle has not fulfilled the hopes of those who advocated the change from Fitzroy Street. Notable work was done by the Rev. George Kemp, whose memory is still cherished with warmest regard. He gathered a large congregation and was popular to the highest degree in the town and district. He spent his strength in three years and died in the prime of life. Three leading gentlemen in the town showed the high honour in which they held him by providing a house for his widow as long as she lived. The Revs. H. Fleming, H. Bennett, W.M. Batterbee, and J.W. Whittaker have all done well here. But the long-standing debt has crippled the work, There is a small band of loyal and devoted workers who toil on hoping that even yet the Tabernacle may be the home of a prosperous Church. Valuable Sunday School work is being done in the crowded district. Messrs. H.W. Howell, S. Gentle, D. Gentle, F. Darler, A.J. Deeks, W. Northfield are holding the fort.”
The 1900 and 1925 Ordnance Survey maps show the Tabernacle at the western end of Newmarket Road, just west of Wellington Street. (n 2019, Street View shows Elite Education Academy on the site.
Christian Messenger 1920/106