Eltisley Primitive Methodist chapel
The Green Eltisley ST. NEOTS PE19 6TG
The Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1857 contains an account by William Cooper of the opening of Eltisley Primitive Methodist chapel.
Eltisley is a small village first missioned in the mid 1840s. A chapel was bought in 1848, but it was ” a temporary mud building” so was costly to repair and in the end unsafe to use.
The new chapel, built of brick, was “neat and substantial”. It was opened on October 10th, 12th and 19th with sermons by Revs. WE Nobbs, J Barnett (Baptist) and A Bound. The overall cost was £135 of which they had raised £46.
The chapel, on the Green, is still marked as the Methodist church on the 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map of 1973. On Google Street View by 2008 it has been converted into a house.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1857 pp. 49-50