Chester Tarvin Road Primitive Methodist Chapel
Now a community centre.
Photographs taken by Alison-Mary Smithson, 31 January 2010.
Christopher Wells tells us the story.
In 1876, a group of young people from Commonhall Street Chapel held a mission in Boughton [about three-quarters of a mile east of the city centre]. From this, a new society was born, which began meeting in a room in Sandy Lane and later [in 1884] built Tarvin Road Chapel’  at the junction of Tarvin Road with Cecil Street. The chapel can be seen on a 1911 map .
In 1889 Chester Third Circuit was created out of Chester First Circuit with Tarvin Road Chapel as its head  and in 1893 the chapel was enlarged to a seating capacity of 285.
The Preaching Plan for the Chester Circuits 1894 Q3 shows the chapels in each circuit; the Third Circuit headed by Tarvin Road Chapel consisted of six chapels lying in the sector between east-north-east and south-east of Chester, the furthest being Clotton, 7 miles east-south-east.
On 28th October 1903 a census was taken in Chester of religious buildings and attendance at worship. The record for the Tarvin Road Chapel was: capacity 200; attendance 170 .
The Cheshire Record Office holds Marriage Registers for 1921-48.
The Tarvin Road Chapel building is now a community centre.
1. ‘Bicentennial History: Wesley Methodist Church, Chester’ by Brian C. Heald, page 24 accessed January 2021 online at https://d3hgrlq6yacptf.cloudfront.net/5f1aef020f71c/content/pages/documents/1504869973.pdf.
‘Chester and Primitive Methodism’
‘Chester: The Introduction of Primitive Methodism’ [link]
‘The coming of Primitive Methodism to Chester and Saughall’
British History Online; then Browse catalogue>Victoria County History – Chester>A History of the County of Chester: Volume 5 Part 2, the City of Chester: Culture, Buildings, Institutions>Churches and religious bodies: Protestant Nonconformity>Methodists>Primitive Methodists