Chester Hoole (Hamilton Street) Primitive Methodist Chapel Cheshire

The chapel was built in 1928

Hoole is in the City of Chester. The chapel is situated in a residential area. There is nothing on the building in the way of a plaque or a date except the foundation stones to indicate that it was indeed a Primitive Methodist Chapel.

In March 2017 the chapel is still open for worship. The present society takes pride in its music. It has a four part choir which takes part in the worship every Sunday morning and many musical concerts are held here.

Numerous activities continue throughout the week with many organisations using the building.

Photos taken March 2017

OS Map Ref:117:SJ417673

Comments about this page

  • In 1902, the First Circuit, based at the ‘new’ George Street chapel, opened a mission room in Faulkner Street, Hoole, (about a mile north-east of the city centre) and the following year, the society moved to a new chapel in Hamilton Street, Hoole [1] – see 1911 map [2]. This chapel then became the schoolroom for a much larger chapel built on the same site in 1928 – see 1959-61 map [3]. It is still an active Methodist church.

    References:
    1. British History Online; then Browse catalogue>Victoria County History – Chester>A History of the County of Chester: Volume 5 Part 2, the City of Chester: Culture, Buildings, Institutions>Churches and religious bodies: Protestant Nonconformity>Methodists>Primitive Methodists
    2. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/342071/366448/12/101234
    3. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/341677/367366/12/100954

    By Christopher Wells (03/01/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *