Cheadle Heath (St. John's) PM Chapel Stockport Road Cheshire

This large brick built chapel with a spire was erected in 1906

Cheadle Heath (St. John's) PM Chapel Stockport Road Cheshire
Cheadle Heath (St. John's) PM Chapel Stockport Road Cheshire
View of St. John's from the rear
View of St. John's from the rear

The chapel sits on the corner of Stockport Road and Myrtle Street. It is an imposing building typical of the Edwardian era. There is no date plaque. It is thought to have replaced an earlier  chapel in Stockport Road built in1855.

In 2014 it is still open for worship.

Photos taken in October 2014

OS Map Ref:109:SJ879888

Comments about this page

  • On August 22 1859 they laid the foundation stone for a 29′ x 26′ Sunday School, built on the side of the chapel and separated by sliding doors, so that the combined school and chapel would hold a congregation on 400 -500.

    John Thomas tells us that the stone was laid by WS Allen Esq of Wood Head Hall. Speakers at the later tea meeting included T Cooper (Sunday school Superintendent, T Chambers and Rev JB Hall (Independent).

    Primitive Methodist magazine November 1859 page 688-689

    By Christopher Hill (13/11/2017)
  • A second account by Mr Macpherson of the opening of the chapel is in the October magazine p.619-620.  He is a bit miffed that Conference has decided that they don’t want architectural detail, only spiritual aspects in the PM magazine, but says that the chapel opened on July 28th 1853.

    Sermons at the opening meetings were delivered by Rev J Clarke (Stockport), Rev R Vaughan (Manchester), Rev Thomas Cheesman (Doncaster), Rev J THornton (Stockport), Rev J Garner (Hulme), Rev R Davies (Bradford), Rev JG Wilson (Stockport), Thomas Dunning (Stockport), J Heap (Macclesfield) and J Ardern.

    By Christopher Hill (27/02/2017)
  • There is an account by James Macpherson of the laying of the foundation stone of the 1853 chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine of April 1853 pp.244-245. The ceremony took place on Feb 12th 1853 when James Watts Esq used “with workmanlike ability …  a mallet of famous dimensions (and …) a silver trowel of beautiful design  by Mr James Bryan, Silversmith, of Stockport,” to lay the stone.

    There was a tea party where 150 “partook of the cup which cheers but not inebriates.” This was followed by a public meeting with contributions from James Watts, Rev S Hooper (Independent of Heaton), J Peet (Salford), J Macpherson (Stockport), Mr Alcock (Manchester), Mr Faulkerener (Cheadle), Wilson (Stockport, Wesleyan), Mr Gent (Gatley Lane), Mr Nelson (Manchester)and Isaac Watts (Burnage, Independent).

    I wonder if the trowel (which was inscribed) and the mallet still exist?

    By Christopher Hill (17/02/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone