Elton Primitive Methodist chapel - but there's a mystery
Ince Lane Elton CH2 4RY
The pictures on this page taken by Richard and Elaine Pearce show the Primitive Methodist chapel in Ince Lane, Elton. There are several places called Elton in the UK, and this one according to Google Maps is 8 miles from Chester by the shortest route. As one of the pictures shows, the chapel carries the date 1845. The pictures were taken in March 2017 and the chapel building is very much still in existence.
That’s fine; however, the Primitive Methodist magazine for October 1852 contains an account by Robert Hill of the opening of Elton Primitive Methodist chapel – and he describes Elton as 7 miles from Chester. These are the main points Robert Hill (no relation!) makes:-
- Primitive Methodists first missioned the village in the spring of 1832, by “holding a camp-meeting, at which several persons were awakened to a sense of their guilt, depravity, and danger”.
- The society met first in the house of John Joinson, then in a rented place, and by 1850 they were meeting in the end of a very dilapidated barn.
- Henry Lowe of Sutton Hall, gave the society a piece of freehold land and a chapel 18′ x 20′ was built at the cost of £86/10/5 of which £37 had been raised.
- The chapel opened on the 9th of May, 1852, with sermons by Henry Brining and John Vernon.
- Particular thanks were due to Henry Lowe for the land; to Mrs. Lowe, to Mr. Peter Brown, to Mrs. Turner and Mrs. Newton, and to the neighbouring farmers, for carting the materials.
The chapel in Ince Lane matches Robert Hill’s description – two windows on the front. Sutton Hall is not far away just to the west of Ellesmere Port.
What confuses us is that the building very clearly carries the date 1845 rather than 1852. Can anyone explain? Are these the same or different chapels? Is it the correct Elton? Is the tablet incorrect?
All photos taken March 2017 by E & R Pearce.
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1852 pp.623-624